Harissa Slow Cooked Beef with Houmous, Homemade Pitta Bread, Shepherd’s Salad and Tzatziki by Chef Chris Phypers
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees. Rub the beef with the rose harissa paste, salt and spices. Heat some oil in a pan and seal the meat, turning until it is browned all over.
- Add to an oven-proof dish with 3 cups of water, cover and slow cook in the oven for 3 – 3.5 hours until tender, adding more water if it starts to evaporate. Once cooked, allow to rest then pull the meat away from the bones using a fork.
- Leave the juices in the pan and place on the hob on a medium heat. Reduce to a sauce consistency and add the meat back in. Halve the pomegranate, remove the seeds and sprinkle over the meat.
Homemade Pitta Breads
- Mix the flour and salt before adding the water. Mix to a smooth dough, adding more flour if the mixture becomes too sticky. Knead for 5-10 minutes.
- Place in a bowl and drizzle over the olive oil. Leave to rest for 2-3 hours.
- Divide the dough into 4 balls and roll out on a floured surface into a thin flatbread shape.
- Heat up a skillet or grill plate and cook on each side for 1-2 minutes.
- Prepare the salad ingredients before pouring over the lemon juice and olive oil. Mix well until all the ingredients are covered then sprinkle over the finely chopped parsley.
- Mix all the ingredients together, adding more mint, parsley or garlic to taste.
- Use a stick blender or food processor to combine all the ingredients. Add some of the reserved chickpea water for a smoother finish.
- For flavoured houmous, add 15g chermoula paste or 8g pureed preserved lemons.
- Arabella Peniston